|Link to 'The Wasters Blog'|
"...Numbers for EU resource usage and waste produced are huge, as given by the EU Commission:
- Disposal of 2.7bn tonnes of waste annually
- ... 98m tonnes of which is hazardous.
- Only 40 percent of the EU’s solid waste is re-used or recycled.
"There will within the next few years be another new layer of regulations to ensure that:
- Higher priority is given to re-use and recycling.
- All product design integrating a life-cycle approach, is implemented
- Yet bigger incentives for waste prevention and recycling, and
- More public investment takes place in modern facilities for waste treatment and recycling.