Sunday 19 June 2011

Bounds Green & District Residents' Association: "Your last chance to respond to the NLWP is approaching fast!"

Link to Association web site
"One of our best informed and most active campaigners has written a direct appeal to all residents affected by the Pinkham Way plan. Please read it and do your very best to respond."



My name is Barry James, and I have lived in The Drive, Bounds Green for 25 years. I am a former secretary of the Bounds Green & District Residents’ Association.

I am upset and angry that uncaring and mean-spirited politicians wish to build a huge and smelly waste processing plant in the middle of our community.

As I approach retirement, I am somewhat distressed by the possibility that, in the future, I may not be able to sit in my own garden without enduring abnoxious smells, and that I will not be able to travel in the immediate locality without facing considerable traffic congestion. Have a look at these web sites to appreciate what might happen if this monstrous proposal proceeds:

It doesn’t need to be like that, you might say. My response is, given the disgraceful and dishonest behaviour of the NLWA management so far, that I have no confidence that the operator and build contracts associated with Pinkham Way will not be let at the cheapest possible price (with the minimum possible specification). In addition, if things go wrong, I have no confidence that NLWA will go out of its way to support and solve local resident's complaints.

My somewhat scathing view of the NLWA has recently been reinforced by the discovery that the evaluation report, used to justify Pinkham Way's suitability for nomination as a suitable site for waste management purposes, is a grossly dishonest and untruthful document. Some of the scoring is so biased against local residents that it is laughable. I have set out my findings – and appended them to a copy of a recent letter sent to three local MPs. Please read the letter and then have a look at the NLWP web site document centre (www.nlwp.net) and make up your own mind.

If you agree with my view, may I offer you a copy of my submission to the NLWP for you also to send to the NLWP – all you have to do is put in your name and address, sign it, and sent it to Archie Onslow at the address on the form. If you disagree with only part of my analysis, then delete that part, but please send the rest. You have until July 8th to get your submission in.

However, there is more! In an act of supreme arrogance, the NLWA management have put in an outline planning application to Haringey Council, the purpose of which is to deprive you of your right to an independent review of the NLWP consultation by an independent government inspector culminating in a public enquiry next Spring – an attempt to ensure that any complaints about the ridiculous scoring evaluation will have no effect.

If you agree with me that this is outrageous, then I urge you to send a letter of complaint to Marc Dorfman at Haringey Planning Department. I have attached a copy of my letter to Marc Dorfman, and if you wish, please feel free to use this as a pro forma – all you have to do is add your name and address, before posting or emailing to the address on the letter.

If you are still with me, could I ask you to do a couple more things:
  1. Print out this text and the attached copies three times – put the first set through the letterbox of your neighbour on the left, put the second set through the letter box of your neighbour on the right, and put the third set through the letterbox of your neighbour opposite, and
  2. Send this text, with its attachments, to the ten people in your address book who are most likely to be interested in the issue, and likely to send a genuine objection to the NLWP and Haringey Council - let's send this issue viral!
Thank you for reading this.

Barry James


(We say: If you have formatting errors with the letter to Haringey Planning Department, 'Select all' and change to a different font.)


"I hope you can see that Barry has done a fantastic job of analysing the enormous amount of data submitted by NLWA, and has identified some absolutely key issues with it which have the potential to stop the Pinkham Way plan in its tracks.

The more people that respond to the NLWP to highlight these points the better, so please take some time in the coming week to read the above documents, and to send in your own submission."

Ben, bg&dra

No comments:

Post a Comment