HOW FAR WE'VE COME, AND NEXT STEPS FOR THE CAMPAIGN
THANK YOU ALL
I am writing to thank you for your support for the Pinkham Way Alliance. The successes we have had so far have been dependent on what you and your neighbours have done, whether this has been coming out in force at demonstrations, writing to local councillors or MPs, or submitting objections to public consultations. We are also hugely grateful to those of you who have made donations towards our essential campaign costs.
WHAT WE HAVE ACHIEVED TOGETHER
So far we have submitted crucial evidence to the planning inspector’s Examination in Public of Haringey’s Core Strategy, which forced the council to re-consult the public about its attempt to designate the Pinkham Way site as ‘industrial’ land. More than 1,550 people endorsed our response to the re-consultation, and a further 100 people have submitted individual objections.
We have kept up pressure on Haringey over their ongoing activities to move the waste plant planning application forward despite their proclaiming it to be 'on hold' months ago. We finally received confirmation this week that it definitely will not be validated until after the North London Waste Plan has been examined by the planning inspector next year.
We have galvanised the three local MPs, who all now support our cause and are working together to stop the proposed development. Our ward councillors are now fully in accord with our aim, which has always been to prevent the building of a huge waste treatment plant on Pinkham Wood.
Serious objections have been raised with the planning inspector by us over the North London Waste Plan - we have called into doubt its soundness and accuracy, again by putting forward accurate and extensive legal arguments.
Thanks to your generosity, so far we have raised over £20,000, all of which has now been carefully spent. These vital funds have enabled us to:
- Secure expert legal advice
- Secure expert planning advice
- Print the many leaflets, flyers and posters that we have posted through people's front doors and distributed at our awareness raising stalls and events.
Thanks to unpaid work by generous local people, we have managed to minimise the amount of money spent by using our own professional expertise wherever possible. However, the costs of legal and plannning advice will continue to be our major outgoing.
Although we have made some very good progress, there is still a great deal to do over the coming weeks and months. We need to:
- Secure expert legal and planning advice to ensure we can make powerful representations at the Examination in Public for the latest consultation on Haringey’s core strategy.
- Secure expert legal and planning advice to ensure we can make powerful representations at the Examination in Public for the North London Waste Plan.
- Prepare to fight the planning application for the waste plant and vehicle depot if Haringey go ahead and validate it.
- Prepare to lobby local politicians and the mayoral candidates about Pinkham Wood.
- Publicise what is being planned even more widely so we can mobilise public opinion and turn it into concrete action that will prevent this massive disruption to our lives.
PLEASE DONATE TODAY
To do all of this we urgently need to raise further funds. We will need another £30,000 to cover the next tranches of legal and planning advice, and in the longer term, we will continue to require funding to maintain the campaign.
Please give what you can using one of the methods below:
- Online by PayPal
- Pay into PWA account at a branch of HSBC: sort code 40-04-37 account number 81689320
- Write a cheque or postal order payable to Pinkham Way Alliance Ltd and send it to the Pinkham Way Alliance, c/o Hollickwood School, Sydney Road, Muswell Hill, London N10 2NL
Meanwhile, please keep spreading the word to friends and neighbours. The more of us who collaborate, the stronger we’ll be.
Chair, Pinkham Way Alliance
Link to HOME (see all posts).